Beginning August 18/19, Christ Church will focus on Courageous Conversations, a series of messages and meetings centered on difficult conversations through the lens of empathy, context and mission.
This journey will be grounded in the weekend message series, A Better Way: Courageous Conversations. The Gospel of Jesus Christ calls us to a better way of speaking to and about one another, a way contrary to the anger and division prevalent in our world today. This series will use the Bible and Martin Luther King Jr.'s six principles of nonviolence as a guide for finding a better way to relate to one another in a polarized context.
THE MESSAGE SERIES
- August 18/19 A Better Way | based on 1 Corinthians 13
- August 25/26 The Strength to Love | based on Romans 12:9-21
- September 1/2 Understanding | based on 1 Samuel 1:1-17
- September 8/9 Defeating Injustice, Not People | based on Matthew 5:43-48
- September 15/16 Suffering and Transformation | based on Luke 18:31-34
- September 22/23 Choosing Love | based on Luke 23:26-34
- September 29/30 The Direction of Time | based on Micah 4:1-5
The message series will build on, but not duplicate, the four Courageous Conversations meetings.
THE FOUR CONVERSATIONS
The four Courageous Conversations will be take place on four Sundays: August 19 and 26, and September 9 and 30, from 4-6pm. The topics will explore the inclusion of the LGBTQ community within the United Methodist Church—issues of human sexuality, specifically lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer identities. Discussions like these are taking place in United Methodist churches across Florida, with help from the Florida Annual Conference. (District Superintendent Cynthia Weems will moderate the August 26, September 9 and September 30 sessions.)
- August 19 | How Did We Get Here?
- What are Courageous Conversations?
- What is the history of the United Methodist Church and the issues of LGBTQ inclusion?
- What is the Way Forward? What options will be considered at the Special General Conference in 2019?
- What will be our covenant for honest and open conversations?
- August 26 | Empathy through Connection | Experiences that have Shaped Us
- September 9 | Empathy through Context | Understanding Different Life Situations
- September 30 | Empathy through Mission | Growing in Jesus
Each discussion will make space for engaging in difficult conversations through the lens of empathy, context and mission. Bring your thoughts, your questions, emotions and heart without fear of being judged or coerced. What makes this opportunity uncommon is that, in our polarized world, there aren't many places without dividing lines. It's countercultural because we are often sold a false narrative: Are you in or out? With us or them?
In Courageous Conversations, we're all in. We're all us. We're not black or white; our ideas are expressed in a spectrum of colors. We listen. We share. We reflect. We engage.
Pre-registration is not required, but it would be helpful for seating and copies. Please register in advance by completing the short form below.