GETTING A FRESH PERSPECTIVE
The mission of the United Methodist Church is to make disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world. We get this from Jesus’ words in Matthew: “Therefore, go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to obey everything that I’ve commanded you” (28:19-20), and “You must love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your being, and with all your mind. . . . You must love your neighbor as you love yourself” (22:37, 39).
The mission defines the destination, but it doesn’t tell us how to get there. Every church must discern how God is calling them to accomplish the mission in their time and place. This is called the vision. It is God’s intended future for us, Christ Church.
The Church Council believes it is time for Christ Church to renew our vision and develop and intentional plan for returning to health. To do this we are seeking a church consultant who can bring a fresh perspective and challenge us to do the tough and vital work of discerning what God is calling us to do now.
We are currently in the process of communicating with multiple consultants to determine who is the best fit for Christ Church. In doing so we are looking for several key criteria:
• They have experience with established churches and in particular, the United Methodist Church.
• They have a balanced approach, using time-tested structures for ministry while leaving flexibility for us to follow our unique calling by God.
• The process is prayerful. We cannot simply copy what other churches are doing. God’s vision has to be discerned through prayerful listening.
• They have a comprehensive approach that includes a church assessment, mission field analysis, clear visioning process, and a well-defined strategy with relevant metrics for success.
• The process is congregational, encouraged input and support.
• The process is transparent, clearly communicating insights and conclusions to the congregation.
God is calling us into a future where we make disciples who transform the world. Our prayer is that God will give us discerning hearts to discern the vision and bold spirits to walk with confidence the path set before us.